Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Poor little ornie....



I found this ornie buried at the bottom of a box of Christmas things. I actually stitched it about 4 years ago for my son Nick. But I was definitely in an ornament-finishing funk at the time as I really did an awful job with it.

I originally tried to finish it with mat board and glue and ended up chopping the fabric around the edge far too short and I faintly remember throwing something into the snow in the yard after I burned my fingers one too many times. So I finally just sewed an envelope style ornie, filled it with piece of mat board (not large enough) and some quilt batting, and the result is a really messy little thing. Its also far too big to hang on the Christmas tree as its about 4 1/2" x 5".

But I feel guilty with this little doggy, I really should try something new with it but I have a feeling there is very little fabric left around the edge any more. Any thoughts?

10 comments:

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

Oh, Wendy it's cute I think...maybe you could just stuff it and make it a hanging pillow for the doorknob or something. I think your stitching looks wonderful on it! If there isn't enough to fabric...you could always make a pillow and fray the ends then stitch it on top of the pillow with the ends frayed.
Good Luck...it's too pretty to toss!

Anonymous said...

Your doggy is very cute. He looks fine to me. I'm not sure what else you can do with him.

Cindy said...

It's very cute, though! I was going to suggest what Vonna said...do a backstitch frame a few threads beyond the stitching, then fray the ends and put it on top of a pillow. I have done that before, and it turns out cute :)

Annemarie said...

Poor little ornie indeed! Still, you couldn't tell from looking at the picture, Wendy! As for re-finishing it (oh heavens, RE-finishing something, isn't that a horrible fate?) my first thought was the same as Vonna's and Cindy's! Good luck with it!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful ornament.

Mary Ann said...

Wendy, the little dog is such a cutie! I think it looks fine, but might consider doing what Vonna and Cindy suggested. And, since it is so big, I would hang it on a doorknob, maybe.

Anonymous said...

It's a sweet ornie, nonetheless! Carol- Garden of Stitches

Anonymous said...

Hi Wendy,

I've been visiting your blog for a bit but haven't left you a comment until now. I think the ornament looks quite good. The spacing around the perimeter is very even. I'm struggling with my own finishing disaster right now. I'm not a sewer but I've signed up for lessons to begin in January.

I really enjoy your blog. You've accomplished an amazing amount of beautiful stitching.

Kelly said...

I don't know what you're talking about Mom. I think your ornament looks beautiful! I'll take it if you don't want it!!!

Anne S said...

Awww, he's just cute as he is :) Maybe if you wanted to re-do it, you could add fabric strips to the sides to give a bit more 'room to play with' :) Sorry for the delay in commenting - I tried a couple of days ago, but Blogger wouldn't play ball ...