Friday, January 26, 2007

Be Happy and more alphabets

I finished Shepherd's Bush Be Happy freebie really quickly. This was my first time working with 10 ct Heatherfield fabric and it seemed really odd to be making such huge stitches. But it was really a nice break from the 40 ct fabric that I'm using for the Carriage House Samplings Alphabet. The 3 buttons are from a Dress it Up package and I think they work well in this piece.


And I added 'C' and 'D' to the alphabet. I was struggling though with D last night and finally hubby pulled out a light magnifier for me to use. I tried this a year ago, the first time I tried 40 ct fabric and hated it. I found I could stitch much easier without it. But I'm now a year older and obviously my eyes are even that much older, so once I got myself in a comfy position and found the best way to manoeuvre the magnifier, I finished up D without any more trouble.

It looks like this magnifier is going to find a steady home next to my stitching chair ~ especially with the new Neighbourhood RR on high linen counts.

Carol (Garden of Stitches) has organized 2 groups for new neighbourhood RR's and done an amazing job with arranging 18 stitchers into groups. She is creating a new blog for us and I'll put in a link as soon as its started.

And this is the first weekend of the Christmas Ornament Stitch-Along. I think I'll work on a Prairie Schooler Santa that I have been wanting to do, I have my pattern and fabric waiting for me! Click on the link if you want to join us, or see what everyone is working on.

19 comments:

Alberta said...

Wendy, I love your Be Happy freebie...makes me wonder if spring isn't just around the corner!

I'm also needing help to see some of the finer details when stitching...but it really just slows me down long enough to really appreciate the designer's talent! After all, it isn't a race, is it? lol

Annemarie said...

Oh, a new Neighbourhood, that's so exciting!!!! I can't wait for your first updates!
Are you by any chance an alphabet freak? I am too, you know. Love this CHS, and also really like the SB project you did!

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

Everything looks great! You are getting an amazing amount of work done! You amaze me...all your stitching...seems like I'm stuck in the mud somewhere with the little that I'm progressing on...
The Neighborhood's gonna be great!
:)

BeckySC said...

The freebie is GREAT! Your Alphabet is looking wonderful!

Carol said...

What a cute job with Be Happy! Your buttons work very well! And that CHS alphabet - I admire all stitchers who take that big one on! I hope to do it one day too :-) Thanks for the nice words about the RR:-)

Heather said...

Boy you did that fast :D It’s so cute huh? I am almost done with mine too. I used 32 count linen on mine though. I do want to try doing one on a 10 count someday. I like the buttons you added to it, they look nice on there!

Your C & D look very good, I couldn’t even imagine working on 40 count, 32 is the smallest I’ll go, it just hurts my eyes. I love the look of it though!

Anonymous said...

Be Happy is gorgeous!
You did a great job on your CHS alphabet :)

Renee said...

It's really inspiring for me to read you. I've been using a magnifier together with a daylight lamp for 2 years now, and I find it gives so much comfort. I miss it when I'm cross stitching in another place (on holiday for instance). Yet for many and many years I didn't use one! So life is going on... The most important is to be able to go on doing what we like.

Barb said...

What a nice cheerful piece Be Happy is especially in the dead of winter when it's so dreary outside. Great job on it!

Anonymous said...

Your "Be Happy" came out great. And your CHS Alphabet looks wonderful. Such nice stitching.

CJ in OK ;-) said...

Congrats on the Be Happy finish it is very cute. I need to find this freebie. Your alpha sampler is coming along great too. The Neighborhood RR should be fun. Happy Stitching, CJ

The Silver Thistle said...

The dress it up buttons look great on this! I thought they were special ones, especially for the picece before I read your post. Nice job!

I haven't heard of neighborhoods before.......I shall have to go investigate, lol.

Mary Ann said...

Wendy, Be Happy is lovely, and the CHS alphabet is looking great! I'm looking forward to seeing the Neighborhood RR's take shape!

Tobie said...

Your SB design is so cute, and I really like the buttons you added! Also love your alphabet project too! I've enjoyed reading your blog and seeing pictures of your stitching!

Sharon said...

Oh that SB is so cute. Love it.
Your Carriage House piece is coming out so beautifully. 40ct wow. Thats great. It is incredible!

Hugs, Sharon
http://sharonstitches.blogspot.com

mainely stitching said...

Really beautiful stitching!!

catandturtle said...

Oh, that's really cute. I love working with Heatherfield. Ann.

lena-lou said...

The CHS alphabet is really nice I admire anybody taking this on :-) Maybe oneday I'll do it for myself...

Anonymous said...

Love the alphabet! I just started that one recently too! where'd you find the border that you're doing?
I also see that you finished the Snap Year! I have 4 months to go and am doing it in a straight line :)
Welcome to the neighborhood!!! It's going to be a blast!