Monday, September 11, 2006

New Guild Projects

I need HELP! I am seriously in a creative slump and time is running out. Our needlework guild started up last week and although I missed the first meeting, Marj kindlykept me up to date with all the goings-on. We are starting a Round Robin at our next meeting - next week - and I have to be prepared with my piece ready to hand off to the next person.

So basically we have to come up with a theme, including colour scheme, which is to be in the shape of a Christmas tree, although the theme doesn't have to be Christmassy. Its not like this was just dumped on me, I really had all summer to think about it, but you know how things go, I always thought there was plenty of time. Now suddenly I'm scrambling trying to come up with my theme and I am just hitting a dead-end. Any ideas, anything at all, anyone????

The other project we are starting is the making of a sewing case, which I believe also starts next week. Luckily Marj offered to take me along fabric shopping and we hit a lovely quilt shop on Saturday and picked out our fabrics, basically one fabric for the outside of the case, one to line the case, and another coordinating fabric for the accessories - ort bag, thimble case, etc. This one sounds like so much fun to make and I'm really looking forwards to starting. There is apparently almost no stitching in this, most of it is put together with glue and double-sided tape. I can't wait to start! Here are the fabrics I picked out, I was thinking of an older Victorian type of look for mine. The large flower print will be for the outside, the pink for the lining and the smaller matching print for accessories.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

I love the fabric you chose Mom. I love floral prints, they're soooo pretty!!

mainely stitching said...

You have such a beautiful assortment of fabrics - can't wait to see what magic you work with them!

Kitty Couture said...

Wow, this all sounds like so much fun!! Love your fabrics.
About the RR, if you have the special ornaments issues by Just Cross Stitch, or their anniversary edition, why not pick charts from there, maybe from the same designer (e.g. Shepherd's Bush)? That could be nice!
Take care!

Margaret said...

Isn't it amazing how much easier it is to think up themes for someone else? This is fun!!
http://www.cyberstitchers.com/ has many free patterns. Perhaps you know this site well, but just in case you don't here are two ideas.
Once on the 'free patterns' page - search Christmas. Now for my ideas:
1. On page 1 you'll find a pattern for a small Gingerbread Man.
Perhaps each person could fancy up a GM according to their own taste.
2. On page 4 there are Christmas Bells, each with a letter of the alphabet. You could even assign letters to spell Merry Christmas.
I'm sure you'll be receiving many more ideas as the day goes on.
Your fabrics are so lovely. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished products.