Thursday, June 26, 2008

RAK'ed and Reading

I was RAK'ed.....by lovely Michele of Just Another Stitching Blog! And her partner in crime was Monique who designed this lovely stitch holder and sent it along to me. How awesome to get a surprise gift in the mail like this! It certainly was a surprise and such a warm feeling to think that someone thought of me, to send me such a sweet gift. Thank you so much, Michele, you really made my day for me :-D

For stitching news, Love is back on the scene. I frogged what seemed to be a huge section and I'm back on track. The wedding is 3 months away (September 27th) so I'm in good time for getting this finished and framed for display at the reception. Three months away....where has the time gone?

And I'm been in a reading craze recently. I finished reading A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini, a really great story about the relationship between 2 women in Afghanistan. I hate to say, its not as good as The Kite Runner, but still very enjoyable.
And after that it was on to The Birth House by Ami McKay, a wonderful story about a young midwife in Nova Scotia, set during World War I. I love how this dates how women lived at the time, in a rural area, and what men's attitudes towards women were like at the time. It was a really great read, I highly recommend it!

I've just started a new book called Sister of My Heart, by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni. This one was recommended by Margaret, so I ordered it at the library and it came in just as I was finishing The Birth House. Keep those book recommendations coming...I can't seem to get enough these days!

The Sisterhood draw is coming close and I have a nice long list of names for the next round! Sorry no dress to see yet.....

13 comments:

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

Isn't a feel good day to know that you are respected, loved and worthy of a RAK?! That Michele is a sweetie!

I've been on a reading kick too of late...but not good literature like your reading...nope merely smut novels (as my DH calls them!) LOL!

Anonymous said...

The Birth House sounds great, I might have to search that one out at the library :)

I've just finished The Alchemist's Daughter by Katherine McMahon - for me, it was a bit slow to get going, but I really enjoyed it at the end. Also, do you like Philippa Gregory at all? I loved The Other Boleyn Girl and The Boleyn Inheritance and I've got Fallen Skies to read soon.

Alberta said...

Wendy, I'm making a note of those books...winter may be long! I've recently ordered Randy Pausch's The Last Lecture. I seen a snip-it on You Tube and my stamping group were all talking about it. can't wait for the first rainy day after the wedding to read!

Have a great long Canada Day weekend!

mainely stitching said...

You're busy with some great reading! :D

Lynn said...

The Birth House sounds like an interesting read. I must give it a go.. thanks.
How nice for you to receive a RAK!

stitcherw said...

What fun to get a RAK, aren't surprises like that wonderful. Can't wait to see what her dress color turns out to be, you're being quite a tease keeping it secret until the end. :)
Sue

Crazee4books said...

Hi Wendy,

Happy Canada Day weekend...but
not exactly a long-weekend
unfortunately.

Your RAK from Michele is a
sweet treat, and a lovely gift.
I'm sure you'll get lots of use
from this thread holder.

I've seen many reviews and
heard of many people who have
read The Birth House, but so
far I haven't picked it up for
myself. Perhaps I should. It
does sound very interesting.

I actually liked A Thousand
Splendid Suns better then I did
the Kite Runner. Perhaps because
Suns is about two women whereas
Kite Runner really has almost no
female characters.

Glad to hear things are working
out with Love and the froggings
are done and over with. Hope
the little critters stay away
for the remainder of your
stitching time.

I didn't realize that everyone
who stitched the Sisterhood
pattern also signed the chart.
That's so cool.

Take care.

CJ in OK ;-) said...

How wonderful to receive such a surprise. I will check out The Birth House too. Happy Stitching (and reading), CJ

staci said...

Congrats on the lovely thread holder :)

Kelly said...

The Birth House sounds really interesting - I may have to borrow that one from you!
I'm still reading Lord of the Rings - I'm almost finished with the 2nd book!

Concetta said...

I've been enjoying all these book recommendations too Wendy! Thank you! :)

nela said...

Wendy muchas gracias, por tu bordado, he quedado maravillada por la ejecucion de tu puntadas, tienen muy buena cobertura y muy uniforme... y la tela que me enviaste la voy a usar ya me vino como anillo al dedo... Graciasssssss estoy muy feliz.

Deb said...

Wendy, I love your book recommendations! Go see my blog for mine! Hugs, Deb