Monday, November 09, 2009

Is it really November?

I'm back in blogging land! No real excuses as to where I've been or why - but I guess I found I had overloaded on responsibilities. Something had to give. And then procrastination set in....

I've been around and lurking and commenting here and there and stitching and quilting and knitting and reading to my heart's content! Well almost - work does tend to get in the way somewhat.

Wanna see some pictures? Because after all, that's what we are really about. If we can't do it all, we can at least look at pictures of people who stitch and quilt and knit wonderful things and imagine that we will some day too.

This is what I did on my summer vacation - really. Lo How a Rose - in a Christmas book that I begged, borrowed and pleaded to get because I had seen it so many times in so many places and I knew I had to make this one for myself. Luckily Clare had the book and she lent it to me just in time for my August vacation. It took about 8 days of dedicated stitching to make and Ta-Da - I'm in love with this piece. I used only DMC for it - no fancy threads here - and I dug out a piece of Lakeside Linens 36 ct linen that I had in my stash. I used one thread over 2 because I wanted a lighter, lacy feel for it. Its been relegated to my bag of finished pieces (BFP's) until I can scrounge up enough $$ to get this one framed.


This is Yule Sampler by Primitive Needle. I finished it last week and I am still in shock that I got something done before a holiday took place, instead of my usual finishing of it after the fact. Again, DMC's, not the called for Crescent Colours, because although I have a healthy selection of CC's, I didn't have one bloody skein that was called for. This was done on Lakeside Linens River Willow 32 ct. Its such a cute little piece and I really enjoyed it.

"Greetings" by Blackbird Designs, from their Peppermint& Holly book. I started this last week, using mostly GAST (with a little DMC, because of course I don't have all the ones that are called for). I'm using the rest of the Lakeside Linens piece of 36 ct fabric that I used for Lo How a Rose above, but 2 threads over 2 this time, for better coverage. Don't you just love BBD's!

And I finished up 2 Hallowe'en pieces, that have already been put away and given away....before pictures were taken (Gasp!). One day I'll get a picture of those.

I made this wee quilt to actually hang something on one of the walls for a change! Its only going to be 24" x 36" when finished and its just waiting to be quilted now. I used the Square in a Square technique - classes that I have been taking with Marg since last January! The main quilt that we are making is a ways from being completed, although we only have 2 classes left. I have lots of very pretty blocks made but I was needing to see something finished so I got this one put together with one of my favourite blocks, I think called Ribbons.

The urge for a new start isn't limited to my stitching - it takes over quilting too. This is the start of 'Log Cabin Squared' using two 'chelsea buns' from Sanctuary. Chelsea buns are rolls of fabric that are 1 1/2" strips from one fabric line, this one called Sanctuary. Really could the manufacturers make things any easier? But I wish they would get away from these yummy food titles for these things.

And lastly, a peak at something waiting to be quilted, using 2 charm packs from Blackbird Designs, called Beach house.

Whew, that was exhausting! Bella thinks so too :-D

20 comments:

Julianne said...

Wendy,

It's great to see a post from you. I LOVE your finishes. Both of them are really, really nice.

staci said...

Congrats on all the stunning stitching and quilting! Love, love, love that Yule Sampler! I've got that BBD all kitted up, I'll get around to it one of these days ;)

Melissa said...

Woo-hooo, Wendy, it's great to see you and all the wonderful work you've been stitching!

I love Lo' too and I have my name on a list somewhere to stitch it - don't know if it will ever happen. It's just one of those lovely things that everybody seems to love.

The Yule sampler is cute so you're ahead of the game for Christmas, and 'greetings' by BBD is lovely. I have that on my to-stitch list too.

Lots of quilting too and you have exhausted Bella! She's looking very relaxed!

Pam @ Heart2Heart said...

Welcome back Wendy! Love everything you've finished and are working on while you were on break. I had to have that book that Lo' came in and it's on my "someday" list to stitch. I seem to have lost my stitching and blog mojo but am hoping now that we've moved to edmonton and are somewhat settled in I will stop procrastinating and get back to stitching and blogging again. Look forward to seeing more from you and again, welcome back!

Anonymous said...

Scrounge faster, Wendy, "Lo" is stunning and will look soo good framed...LOL!! Glad to see you back in blogland!

Siobhán said...

Yeay! Wendy, it's always so good to see a post from you. I've been wondering how you were doing. Clearly you've been busy, tending to those smoking needles! ;) YGG! It was great to see all of your finishes and WIPs, both stitchy and quilty. Good for you for being ahead of the game on Yule Sampler! I bought everything to stitch it last Christmas and of course don't know where all that everything is. :P Typical me. Great job--and cuddles for Bella!

Brigitte said...

You've been so busy stitching and quilting wonderful things. I also often use DMC threads for the same reason you do so. I have the whole set and when I decide to stitch a piece I needn't order threads and wait until they arrive but can start immediately.

Heather said...

It's great to hear from you!!! I love the stitching finishes, they are so pretty. Your quilting is awesome! I am totally addicted to the Pre-cut fabrics as well, they are so easy to use.

Lana said...

Boy, you sure have been busy!! No wonder you haven't been blogging much! Glad you're back!

Alberta said...

Wendy, it's so good to hear from you again! Love your projects, especially the Yule Sampler.

Stay healthy !!!!

AnnMcD said...

Great looking finishes Wendy!!

Andrea said...

Lovely stitching and quilting. Great finishes.

Anna van Schurman said...

I read eight hours for eight days and thought wow that's fast. LOL. Beautiful work you've been doing. You're excused, though you were missed.

Cheryl said...

Great to hear from you again Wendy! Lovely stitching

Jeanne said...

So glad you're back again Wendy - it is hard to make time for everything that's for sure. I want to make so many things from the Peppermint & Holly book but alas haven't gotten a single one done yet!

Hazel said...

Yay great to see you posting again!! Gorgeous finishes and wips and adore your quilting. I am in awe! xx

Michele said...

wooo hoooo it's a post from Wendy! and what a great one too :) I love your finishes!! I have Yule Sampler, can't wait to start it :)

Glenna said...

Welcome back! You've been very productive--beautiful pieces!

Jennifer said...

I love your finished 'Lo' . I started it then got into Christmas present stitching but will get back to it after Christmas. I also have Yule sampler to do, and love yours.glad to see you are back blogging.from another Ontario blogger!

glamlawlib said...

Oh my you have been busy! As you say, I like to look at the photos of other peoples hard work, even if I haven't had much time for my own :)

I've made a start on Lo too, seeing yours makes me want to get on with it!