Tuesday, March 10, 2009

What's the word for.....?

'Eggs' by Shepherds Bush, stitched on 32 ct antique white linen, with GAST and DMC

I finished up a quick little Shepherd's Bush piece last night ~ Eggs for Easter. Sometimes its just easy to pick up something and finish is in 2-3 days, I needed that quick finish. And shockingly for me, its actually done well in time for Easter. I am notorious for being on the back end of holidays. I start something before a holiday comes but never get it finished in time. I'll do a fabric dive later and see what I have to finish-finish this.

Speaking of...is there a word for finishing that I can't think of? I call something finished when I'm finished stitching it. But then there's the actual 'finishing' of it, that is making in into a finished piece, that I think I need a proper word for.

May be I could start a contest - whoever can come up with the best word for the actual 'finishing' of a stitched piece into something - needlebook, scissor fob, ornament, whatever. I'll gift a 'finished' object to whoever comes up with the best word.

Marj and I drove to Ann's Knowledge and Needles Open House on Sunday to see all the latest goodies she brought back from Nashville. It was so nice to see her and Dani and Christin and a few other ladies there. I was very very good and kept well within my budget.
Quakers & Quilts by Rosewood Manor, which calls for Valdani threads, which Ann also had but I didn't indulge in. And Celtic Cross by M Designs which I have coveted for a long time now.

And check out this lovely piece of Graziano gingham linen Ann had in stock - its perfect for this new Blackbird Designs piece called A Flock of Birds which is in the newest My Heart is True book. Ann is carrying several different colours of this and I was so happy to get it. Now I can't wait to start this lovely design - its my favourite in the new book.

And speaking of Blackbird Designs, Sue started a new blog for Blackbird lovers. Be sure to visit to see everyone's gorgeous stitching!

21 comments:

Edgar said...

Great stash and a super finish!! I love the new BBD book also and totally agree with you about your favorite from it!!

Kendra said...

I'm real original...when the stitching is completed, I say it's finished. When the entire piece is in its final form - fob, pillow, ornament, framed, etc. - I call it finish-finished.

:-)

:: wee bird :: said...

thanks for the shout out about the blog Wendy!
You have some beautiful stash there,lucky you.They are great choices :D

Kathy A. said...

Lovely stash there girl. Glad you were able to make it to Ann's and see the ladies! I am so jealous!

Michele said...

Love Eggs :) I stitched that a couple of years ago .. it's one of my favs :)

lol I'm like Kendra, when I'm doing stitching it's finished and when it's been finished, by me or someone else, it's finish/finished :)

should be fun to see if anyone can get creative with the finishes! lol

Ranae said...

A finish is called a "Happy Dance" weeeeeee!!!! kick off your shoes, get out the strob light and boogie, lol
Love the SB
Nice taste of charts you picked up.

Sonda said...

Love the little finished! It just cries out "Spring!". Nice stash, too!

Melissa said...

Hi Wendy,

You're well ahead of schedule with those Eggs! I love that BBD stitch with the gingham linen too.

Usually I get to a point in a project that I just want to get it done and move on to the next one. It becomes TGID - Thank God It's Done!

Have fun stitching!

Unknown said...

What a great finish! And what great stash. Love the blackbird design! Can't wait to see you stitch it. What about instead of finished you call it completed?

Mary Ann said...

Wonderful finish, Wendy! And nice new stash, too!!

acereta said...

Beautiful Celtic cross!

Brigitte said...

Oh, such a nice finish. Loking forward to seeing it finish-finished. I think I can't come up with a different word for it, lol.
Nice stash enhancement.

Alberta said...

Wendy, we are are slowly coming out of yet another cold snap (-30'C yesterday morning) your Easter finish reminds me that yes...spring will arrive when she's ready!

Bine said...

You "Egg" is so cute!
I have the same problem like you and thought about it a lot of times. Finished it is when the stitching is done and what it is called when it is made into something?????
Love your stash and especially the Graziano linen and the Blackbird pattern :)

Carol R said...

Love the new Blackbirds design!

Siobhán said...

Beautiful finish! YGG on being ahead of the game & having the stitching finished before the holiday. Love the stash enhancement, too!

stitcherw said...

Very cute finish, and perfect timing getting done well before Easter. I'll look forward to seeing how you decide to do the final finishing of it. Great stash too, glad you had fun on your stitching trip.
Sue

Annemarie said...

Looong time no hear from me :o) You've been up to some great things, Wendy, not least your early Easter finish!
When I finish something I *describe* it as a finished-finish, done and dusted. What do you think of a 'done and duster'?

Anonymous said...

Ooo! I love the gingham fabric! I can see why you've coveted the Celtic Cross pattern; very pretty.

I'll be following this thread to see what you come up with for a fully finished project. Me, my usual announcement tends to be, "There, the darn thing's done!" with various substitutions for 'darn' depending on the projects level of difficulty. lol

Carol R said...

I've been thinking about this - how about 'finally finished'!

Lynn said...

Thanks for the link to the BD blog.
I'd hoped to get to Ann's for the open house but things didn't turn out quite as I expected.
I love your Shepherd's Bush finish!